We are hiring an Volunteer Manager AmeriCorps Member for 2019-2020! The anticipated start date is August 19, 2019 in Iowa City, Iowa. The AmeriCorps orientation is Friday, September 6, 2019 in Des Moines, Iowa.
The position is full-time (33 hours/week) over the course of 11 months and includes a living stipend, health insurance, housing and campus meal plan, professional development funding, and education award. This position will assist in creating a vibrant space in the Iowa Memorial Union where students can learn more about service, civic engagement and social change.
AMERICORPS MEMBER BENEFITS:
- A living stipend paid out bi-monthly from Iowa Western Community College totaling $15,300 over 11 calendar months.
- Full health insurance coverage through Iowa Western Community College
- $1000 Professional Development budget
- $75 scholarship to cover their entire registration fee for the Iowa Civic Action Academy. A limited amount of funding is available for host sites or members to request in order to travel to the Iowa Civic Action Academy.
- Additional professional development and networking opportunities
- Upon successful completion of the full term of service, the Member will receive an education award of $6095.00, from the National Service Trust. The Member understands that his/her failure to disclose to the program any history of having been released for cause from another AmeriCorps program will render the Member ineligible to receive the education award.
- If the Member has received forbearance on a qualified student loan during the term of service, and the Member successfully completes the term of service, the National Service Trust will repay a portion of the interest that accrued on the loan during the term of service according to hours served.
- Child-care benefits are contingent on having a child under 13, meeting an income threshold, needing child-care assistance to complete the AmeriCorps term of service, and having a financial need to pay necessary child-care expenses. More information can be found at http://www.americorpschildcare.com/.
VOLUNTEER MANAGER DUTIES:
- Familiarize self with local community service opportunities and resources
- Familiarize self with service opportunities and resources at UI in various colleges and departments
- Hold weekly advising hours for students
- Create volunteer manual of policies, procedures, and expectations
- Create volunteer training modules/online tutorials
- Establish baseline metrics around the following items:
- Volunteer opportunities being offered to students
- Community partners and locations of service
- Number of student volunteer and hours of service to local community
- Enhance relationship between students and community partners
- Decrease barriers for students to engage in local service opportunities
- Advise assigned volunteer/service-based student organizations
- Establish regular communication with community partners regarding their volunteer needs and the recording of their assessment of needs
- Assist coordinating volunteer portion of Student Involvement Fair, MLK day of Service and potentially during other service-based events
- Maintain website and digital presence
- Manage coordinating community partner hours in center
- Assist planning and executing service and civic engagement recognition event for students
- Supervise student part-time AmeriCorps positions
Individuals interested in applying should email a resume and cover letter to Erika-Christiansen@uiowa.edu by Monday, July 1, 2019. Invitations to interview will be on a rolling basis.