Have you ever wondered what to do with your old clothing, appliances, furniture, etc. at the end of the year? Check out this list of places to donate or resell your old things on and around campus.
- University Book Store and Iowa Hawk Shop: Book Buyback can get you some cash for your college textbooks you no longer need. Visit their site to see a schedule and locations. Some books may not be accepted.
- Goodwill: They accept books, cassettes, videos and DVDs. Donations can be taken to any of their locations, however, the closet location to campus is at 1500 S. 1st Avenue in Iowa City. They are open Tuesday-Friday 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.,and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Iowa City Public Library: The Iowa City Public Library accepts book donations for their gently used book store. (Note: textbook donations not accepted). Perfect for gently used books for English and literature classes!
- Food Pantry at Iowa: This student run pantry accepts donations throughout the year. Find them in room 212 of the IMU. If the pantry is not open, nonperishable items can be left with the Iowa House Hotel front desk. Items in need include canned food, protein sources, gluten free, allergy friendly options, and more.
- Johnson County Crisis Center: Drop your canned food, pet food, unused laundry detergent, and more here. The Crisis Center accepts donations Monday through Friday from 9-5, and Tuesday until 7 pm. Review the list of accepted donations here.
- Clothing Closet at Iowa: Located in room 213 of the IMU, they provide professional clothing at no cost to students. Take old blazers or other professional items you have grown out of and donate them here. If the closet is not open, items can be left with the Iowa House Hotel front desk.
- Abbe Center for Community Mental Health: The Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH) program is always in search of clothing donations. They can be dropped off at 1039 Arthur Street Iowa City (be sure to label donations with PATH). The Abbe Center also has an account at Stuff Etc. in Iowa City, located at 1027 Highway 6.
- Goodwill: Goodwill accepts almost all clothing, new or used. They are located at 1500 S. 1st Avenue Iowa City, and are always accepting donations.
- Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP): They accept a variety of household items, such as deodorant, laundry soap, diapers, silverware, sheets, and more. Their website has a top ten most needed list as well.
- The Shelter House: They are always in need of household items, like alarm clocks, comforters, toothpaste, and more. The Shelter House is open for donations Monday through Friday 8-4. Contact them before bringing items over, as they have limited storage capacity.
- Goodwill: Goodwill takes many household items, such as plates, silverware, furniture, and more. the are located at 1500 S. 1st Avenue Iowa City.