The University of Iowa’s Hawkeye Service Teams exist to promote service learning, social justice, and community building to University of Iowa students through an alternative break.
The Hawkeye Service Team application for spring 2019 session closed on October 17th at 5:00 pm, but the wait list application is now available. The application is open to all undergraduate and graduate students. Students will be notified of their selection status in early November.
Students may apply HERE to be added to the wait list and will be notified should space become available for the Spring 2019 term.
Due to limited capacity, students must apply and be selected to be a member of a Hawkeye Service Team. All students who are selected to participate will be enrolled in the corresponding 3 s.h. service-learning course for the Spring 2019 semester. This course meets every Monday from 5:30 - 6:45 PM (January 14 - April 1) in addition to a weekly online module. The final presentations on April 1 will be from 5:30 - 7:30 pm in the IMU.
Students will participate in the overnight service immersion experience from March 16 - 21 (spring break) in their designated team location as part of the course requirements.
To cover most costs associated with this trip (travel, lodging, meals, activities, etc.), the course includes a $175 fee. A limited number of need-based scholarships are available.
The 2019 teams include:
- Food Justice in Atlanta, GA - sponsored by Food Pantry at Iowa
- Disability Rights in Biloxi, MS - sponsored by CSIL
- Gentrification in Birmingham, AL - sponsored by the School of Urban and Regional Planning
- Public Health in Dallas, TX - sponsored by CSIL
- Homelessness in Denver, CO - sponsored by CSIL
- Food Justice in Indianapolis, IN - sponsored by Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Youth Education in Kansas City, MO - sponsored by the UI Center for Advancement
- Children's Health in Little Rock, AR - sponsored by UI Dance Marathon
- Public Health in Louisville, KY - sponsored by CSIL
- Racial Justice in Memphis, TN - sponsored by Being Black at Iowa and Residence Education
- Urban Housing in Milwaukee, WI - sponsored by the Fundraising & Philanthropy Communication Certificate
- Economic Equity in Detroit, MI - sponsored by Tippie College of Business
- Education Equity in St. Louis, MO - sponsored by the Center for Diversity & Enrichment
Thank you to our generous sponsors: Being Black at Iowa, Center for Diversity & Enrichment, Food Pantry at Iowa, Fundraising and Philanthropy Communication Certificate, Dance Marathon, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Residence Education, School of Urban and Regional Planning, Tippie College of Business, and UI Center for Advancement. We are grateful for these wonderful campus partners!
If you have any questions about the Hawkeye Service Teams, or if you are interested in participating as a faculty/staff member, please email us!
2019 Alternative Spring Break
The Hawkeye Service Team application for spring 2019 session closed on October 17th at 5:00 pm, but the wait list application is now available.
2018 Alternative Spring Break
The 2018 Hawkeye Service Teams traveled to 16 different cities for Alternative Spring Break trips during March 2018.
The Hawkeye Service Team program is a service-learning based experience open to students.