The University of Iowa’s Hawkeye Service Teams exist to promote service learning, social justice, and community building to University of Iowa students through a service break experience.
Students who have participated in a service break and are interested in becoming a Student Leader for Spring 2020 should apply HERE.
The participant application for spring 2019 session closed on October 17th, 2018. Enrollment for Spring 2020 will begin in fall 2019. The application is open to all undergraduate and graduate students. Students are typically notified of their selection status in early November.
Due to limited capacity, students must apply and be selected to be a member of a Hawkeye Service Team. All students who are selected to participate will be enrolled in the corresponding 3 s.h. service-learning course for the Spring 2019 semester. This course meets every Monday from 5:30 - 6:45 PM (January 14 - April 1, 2019) in addition to a weekly online module. The 2019 final presentations on April 1 will be from 5:30 - 7:30 pm in the IMU.
Students will participate in the overnight service immersion experience from March 16 - 21, 2019 (spring break) in their designated team location as part of the course requirements.
To cover most costs associated with this trip (travel, lodging, meals, activities, etc.), the course includes a $175 fee. A limited number of need-based scholarships are available.
The 2019 teams include:
- Food Justice in Atlanta, GA - sponsored by Food Pantry at Iowa
- Disability Rights in Biloxi, MS - sponsored by CSIL
- Gentrification in Birmingham, AL - sponsored by the School of Urban and Regional Planning
- Public Health in Dallas, TX - sponsored by CSIL
- Homelessness in Denver, CO - sponsored by CSIL
- Food Justice in Indianapolis, IN - sponsored by Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Youth Education in Kansas City, MO - sponsored by the UI Center for Advancement
- Children's Health in Little Rock, AR - sponsored by UI Dance Marathon
- Public Health in Louisville, KY - sponsored by CSIL
- Racial Justice in Memphis, TN - sponsored by Being Black at Iowa and Residence Education
- Urban Housing in Milwaukee, WI - sponsored by the Fundraising & Philanthropy Communication Certificate
- Economic Equity in Detroit, MI - sponsored by Tippie College of Business
- Education Equity in St. Louis, MO - sponsored by the Center for Diversity & Enrichment
Thank you to our generous sponsors: Being Black at Iowa, Center for Diversity & Enrichment, Food Pantry at Iowa, Fundraising and Philanthropy Communication Certificate, Dance Marathon, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Residence Education, School of Urban and Regional Planning, Tippie College of Business, and UI Center for Advancement. We are grateful for these wonderful campus partners!
To donate to the Hawkeye Service Teams through the University of Iowa Center for Advancement, please direct your gift to the VPSL Directed Gift Fund and specify it should be given to the Hawkeye Service Teams.
If you have any questions about the Hawkeye Service Teams, or if you are interested in participating as a faculty/staff member, please email us!
2019 Alternative Spring Break
The Hawkeye Service Team application for spring 2019 session closed on October 17th, 2018. The application is open to all undergraduate and graduate students.
2018 Alternative Spring Break
The 2018 Hawkeye Service Teams traveled to 16 different cities for Alternative Spring Break trips during March 2018. The focus areas include LGBTQ+ Rights, Youth Health Education, Urban Development, Criminal Justice Reform, Immigration, Arts, Youth Education, Childrenâs Health, Public Health, Racial Justice, Housing, Education Equity, Food Justice and Economic Disparity.
The Hawkeye Service Team program is a service-learning based experience open to students. The inaugural international program occurred May 15 - June 2, 2018 in the Dominican Republic. Students engaged in service activities, visited local government offices, nonprofits, and organizations already working in the community.