Summer 2021 Volunteering
Various ongoing and one-time volunteer opportunities for Summer 2021
Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP) Opportunities
- Help victim-survivors while maintaining safety and social distancing.
- Manage in-kind donations and digitize files.
Contact - Alta Medea-Peters, Director of Community Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-930-2030
Ronald McDonald House Opportunities
- Contact local restaurants and catering businesses to ask them to cater meals for Ronald McDonald House volunteers. (Great for students interested in marketing or public relations)
- Complete cleaning tasks throughout the House.
- Cook evening meals for families. If you enjoy cooking, this might be a good opportunity for you!
- Decorating for holidays/birthdays and putting together small care packages.
Contact - AJ Richard, Family Program & Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com, 319-356-3939
Camp Courageous Opportunities
Help at Respite Day Camps during weekends throughout the summer (June 5-6 and 12-13, July 3-4 and 10-11, August 7-8 and 14-15). The weekend Respite Day Camps are designed for individuals with special needs who are living at home with their parent(s) or guardian(s). For more info, click here.
Contact - John Geyer: firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-465-5916 EXT 2320
The Arc of Southeast Iowa Opportunities
- The Arc pArc Garden - Help every other Friday in the community garden with prepping, planting, and maintaining the garden, as well as education opportunities with on-site programming.
- Special Olympics for Children Field Days - Help out with two Field Days to give potential Special Olympics a chance to try out sports they may be interested in on June 12th & 26th.
Contact - Tomeka Magnani: email@example.com
Field to Family Opportunities
- Help with the contact-free online Farmers Market on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. You will receive deliveries, pack orders, and/or distribute orders as a volunteer.
Contact - Julia Poska: firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-214-3509
Iowa City Free Medical and Dental Clinic Opportunities
- Trained phlebotomists to do blood draws, urine dipstick, and other CLIA-waved tests, as well as some lab paperwork for the samples
- Pharmacist, pharm techs, and pharmacy students to fill and dispense medications from our dispensary.
- Spanish interpreters to work with Spanish-speaking patients, especially volunteers with knowledge of medical Spanish
Contact - Elisa Hernández Pérez, Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com, 319-337-4537
Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity Opportunities
- Volunteer Drivers for the Grab-and-Go Lunch Program to deliver free, daily meals to residents and children studying from home in the Iowa City Community School District. You will need to provide your own means of transportation.
Contact - Solano Nuno, Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org, (410) 842-7227
Oaknoll Retirement Residence Opportunities
- Evening Program Volunteer: Assist with bringing residents to and from our evening programs (guest speakers, presentations, musical performances, etc.), help set up and tear down the chairs from the program, spend one-on-one time with the residents.
- Friendly Visitor: Spend one-on-one time with residents, engaging in various recreational activities and conversation
- Activity Assistant: Assist with daily recreation activities, such as exercise class, happy hours, socials, etc., spend one-on-one time with residents, engaging in various recreational activities and conversation
- Walking Partner: Spend one-on-one time with residents during time walking outdoors
- Outdoor Volunteer: Help serve the residents through yard work and outdoor activities (pulling weeds, gardening, watering flowers, etc.
Contact - Kam Atwater, Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com, 319-887-3026
Food Pantry at Iowa Opportunities
- Weekly Volunteer: Help during operating hours on Wednesday by supervising the pantry, greeting, and assisting our clients.
- Inventory Volunteer: Help receive donations at the IMU, weigh donated produce and toiletries, and stock the pantry. Help whenever your schedule allows, not limited to operating hours.
Contact - firstname.lastname@example.org for other inventory volunteer opportunities
CommUnity Crisis Services & Food Bank Opportunities
- Mobile Pantry: Sign up to help at the "pop-up" pantry throughout Johnson County by loading the truck, unloading on-site, helping clients shop, or returning items to the warehouse on Tuesday-Friday shifts. Sign up here!
- Grocery Delivery: Deliver pre-made food boxes to clients residing in Johnson County during Tuesday-Friday afternoon shifts. Must be 18+ and have a reliable vehicle, license, and proof of insurance. Sign up here!
- Food Bank: Help at the Pepperwood Plaza Food Bank by stocking shelves, unloading deliveries, helping clients register and sign in, attending to clients, sorting through products. Shifts available Monday-Saturday. Sign up here!
Contact for Mobile Pantry & Grocery Delivery - Liz Detrick: email@example.com
Contact for Food Bank or general questions - Lucas Welch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Amana Colonies Festival Opportunity
- Kinderfest: Help facilitate the "Kid-Lympics" competition and arts & crafts stations for kids participating in the one-day Kinderfest in the Amana Colonies on Saturday, July 10th.
Contact - Dana Jensen, Events Manager: email@example.com, 319-622-7010
Iowa Home Football Game Concessions with Shelter House
- Concessions Stand Volunteer: Help at concession stands during home football games in Kinnick Stadium this fall. This is a 6-8 hour commitment for each game. A 2-3 hour training will be provided closer to the dates. Preferred volunteers can commit to multiple games throughout the season. Dates: 9/4, 9/18, 9/25, 10/9, 10/16, 11/13, 11/20, 12/4
Contact - Sloane Terrill, Volunteer Coordinator at Shelter House: firstname.lastname@example.org
American Red Cross Smoke Detector Installment Day
- Smoke alarm installation volunteer: On Saturday, August 7th, help out the American Red Cross and the Iowa City Fire Department in a partnership event to deliver and install free smoke detectors to everyone in the South District Neighborhood of Iowa City. You will walk around the neighborhood, meet residents, and offer to test, replace, and install new smoke alarms for free.
Contact - Solano Nuno: email@example.com
To have any volunteer opportunities added or updated, please reach out to Lindsey Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated July 26, 2021